2014 Oz-Stravaganza! Contests
“Royal Historian of Oz” Writing Contest
Entrants in this year’s contest must write a story of 400/500 or fewer words depending on your grade level, and using all of the 15 words listed below, or a form of the word.
4th & 5th Grade: 1. banquet 2. senseless 3. reliable 4. companion
5. translate 6. occasion 7. courteous 8. impressive 9. blizzard 10. entrance 11. focus 12. fragile13. increase14. communicate 15. path
6th-8th Grade: 1. abrupt 2. ajar 3. bystander 4. chorus 5. dependent
6. nurture 7. hilarious 8. subtle 9. obstacle 10. priority 11. encounter
12. burden 13. rural 14. soothe 15. happy
9-12th Grade & Adult: 1. accomplice 2. guidance 3. cirumstance 4. asset 5. mutual 6. tantrum 7. complex 8. verify 9. hostile 10. overpower
11. discontinue 12. tension 13. commend 14. harmony 15. celebrity
There are five categories for entrants: 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th-8th grades, 9th-12th grades, and adult group. First, second, third, and fourth prizes will be awarded in each category. The International Wizard of Oz Club will donate the prizes.
Story Requirements:1. The story must be about the Land of Oz and the wonderful characters that live and visit there.
2. The story must have a title (words from the list of fifteen may be used in the title, but that isn’t required). If the words are used in the title they must still be used in the story.
3. The story must be 500 words or fewer for grade levels 4-8. The story must be 400 words or fewer for grade levels 9-12 and adult categories.
4. The story must contain all 15 words listed above, and each of the 15 words must be underlined in the final copy of the story.
5. Be Creative! Baum penned 13 sequels to “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” New characters and adventures were introduced in each book. Use Baum and or your own characters to create your Land of Oz story.
General Rules:1. Only one entry per person.
2. All entries must be typed, double-spaced, front side only on white printer paper (entries of more than one page should be stapled in the upper left-hand corner).
3. Electronic entries will NOT be accepted.
4. Entries will not be returned and will become property of Oz-Stravaganza!.
5. The registration form should be clipped, filled out, and attached to the entry. Be sure your name and phone number is on each page of your entry.
6. All entries should be sent to: Oz-Stravaganza! Royal Historian of Oz
Writing Contest, P. O. Box 456, Chittenango, NY 13037
7. All entries must be postmarked by midnight on May 12, 2014.
8. The entries will be judged by a group of qualified professionals.
9. The winners will be announced the week of May 26, 2014, on the
Oz-Stravaganza! website. (www.oz-stravaganza.com)
10. Prizes will be awarded to the winners in each age group. The first place entries, in each age group will be read on stage Sunday, June 8th at 11 a.m., in Oz-Stravaganza! Park during the festival in Chittenango, NY.
11. For further information contact Mark Zane at: 315-498-7254 or email@example.com
2014 Oz Coloring Contest
Sponsored byThe Wilson Insurance Agency, Inc.