2013 Oz-Stravaganza! Contests
“Royal Historian of Oz” Writing Contest
Congratulations to this Years’ Writing Contest Winners!!!
3rd – 5th Grade
1st place—Audrey Plogman “The Trip Back to Oz”
2nd place— Bronte Stahl “The Black Hole”
3rd place— James Boylan “The Scarecrow’s Adventure”
4th place—Jenna Silwka “The Scarecrow”
1st place—Bridget Brownplace—“The Ruby Earrings”
2nd place—Jordyn Grady “The Escape Plan”
3rd place—Birdie Manahan “The Rivalry”
4th place—Rachael Pickard “My Side of the Story”
6th – 8th Grade
1st 4th place— Carli Arbon “An Unexpected Journey”
2nd 4th place—Alexandra Anne Taskovski “The Quest for Chistery
3rd place—Richard Haskins “Dorothy and the Goblins”
4th place— Maddie Meigs “A Special Day, Glinda and Oz’s Wedding”
9th – 12th
1st place—Elizabeth haskins “Dorothy’s Great Escape
2nd place—Alissia Loran “OZ”
3rd place— Nelson Johnson “Annual Feast”
4th place— Neit Mattis “The Real Legend of Oz”
1st place—Michael Ritter “Champons of Oz”
2nd place— Leigh Eron “Something Wicked This Way Comes”
3rd place— Randi Coker “What Became of the Silver Slippers”
4th place— Michael Aaron Gallagher “The Crystal of Oz”
Entrants in this year’s contest must write a story of 400/500 or fewer words depending on your grade level, and using all of the 15 words listed below, or a form of the word.
3rd-5th Grade: 1. Cyclone 2. Witch 3. Family 4. Dream 5. Forest
6. Friends 7. Goblins 8. Help 9. Think 10. Brave 11. Heart 12. Wizard 13. House 14. Castle 15. Together
6th-8th Grade: 1. Farm 2. Lost 3. Dream 4. Frightened 5. Cyclone 6. Courage 7. Soldiers 8. Munchkins 9. Wizard 10. Companions
11. Fire 12. Melt 13. Goblins 14. Broomstick 15. Drawbridge
9-12th Grade & Adult: 1. Magic 2. Forest 3. Courage
4. Hourglass 5. Danger 6. Rescue 7. Castle 8. Home 9. Soldiers
10. Wish 11. Crystal 12. Cyclone 13. Wizard 14. Witch 15. Escape
There are four age groups for entrants: grade levels 3-5, 6-8, 9-12, and adult group. First, second, third, and fourth prizes will be awarded in each age group. The International Wizard of Oz Club will donate the prizes.
Story Requirements:1. The story must be about the Land of Oz and the wonderful characters that live and visit there.
2. The story must have a title (words from the list of fifteen may be used in the title, but that isn’t required). If the words are used in the title they must still be used in the story.
3. The story must be 500 words or fewer for grade levels 3-8. The story must be 400 words or fewer for grade levels 9-12 and adult categories.
4. The story must contain all 15 words listed above, and each of the 15 words must be underlined in the final copy of the story.
General Rules:1. Only one entry per person.
2. All entries must be typed, double-spaced, front side only on white printer paper (entries of more than one page should be stapled in the upper left-hand corner).
3. Electronic entries will NOT be accepted.
4. Entries will not be returned and will become property of Oz-Stravaganza!.
5. The registration form should be clipped, filled out, and attached to the entry. Be sure your name and phone number is on each page of your entry.
6. All entries should be sent to: Oz-Stravaganza!, Royal Historian of Oz Writing Contest, P. O. Box 456, Chittenango, NY 13037
7. All entries must be postmarked by midnight on May 8, 2013.
8. The entries will be judged by a group of writing professionals.
9. The winners will be announced the week of May 26, 2013,
on the Oz-Stravaganza! website. (www.oz-stravaganza.com)
10. Prizes will be awarded to the winners in each age group. The first place entries, in each age group will be read on stage Sunday, June 2nd at 11 a.m., in Oz-Stravaganza! Park during the festival in Chittenango, NY. The first place entries also will be published by The Post-Standard on Sunday, June 2.
11. For further information contact Mark Zane at: 315-498-7254 or email@example.com
2013 Oz Coloring Contest Winners
Sponsored byThe Wilson Insurance Agency, Inc.
Congratulations to this Years’ Coloring Contest Winners!!!
Thank you to our wonderful artist who contributed their talents to the coloring contest!!!
Back from left: Alexandria Rheaume, Julia Spratt, Kayla Dennee
Front from left: Nicole Myers, Noelle Miller, Allison Choi
Special thank you to teacher, Karen Tashkovski
Oz Costume Contest
Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.Official Rules
For ages infants to adults!
Dress up like Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, The Wicked Witch, Glinda, Munchkins or any other Oz book/movie character.
There will be THREE awards per category & age group.
Stickles Park at the intersection of Genesee Street (Route 5) and Falls Blvd.
Registration begins at 12:15 p.m.
Judging starts promptly at 12:45 p.m.
Awards will be presented immediately following judging in the Gazebo in Stickles Park prior to the Oz parade.
All awards that are NOT picked up at the ceremony will be available
for the winners to pick up at the Chittenango Village Hall during normal business hours.
You MUST register/check-in at the registration area when you arrive.
Please download the registration form below and fill out. Then bring the form with you day of the costume judging. Do not send in in advance.
For further information contact Terry Shaler at: firstname.lastname@example.org